MURCHISON FALLS BOAT CRUISES, WILD FRONTIERS UGANDA
The 3893km2 Murchison Falls National Park forms the core of Uganda’s largest protected area. Together with the adjoining Bungungu and Karumu wildlife reserves, it forms a vast wilderness covering 5072km2 and containing a wide variety of wildlife including big game, forest primates and 450 bird species. The mighty Nile, the longest river in the world, flows through the heart of the park for a distance of 120km, on its 6500km journey from Lake Victoria to Egypt and the Mediterranean sea. The park’s centrepiece is the explosive, 40m high Murchison Falls where the Nile is forced through a 6m gap in the rift valley escarpment. The Falls separate two very different rivers. Upstream, the river races down a turbulent 80km channel punctuated with rapids. Downstream, the Nile flows quietly towards Lake Albert which it enters through a large papyrus delta. It is this peaceful 40km stretch of river which provides the park’s prime wildlife spectacle and which our boats explore.
Our River Craft
Experience Murchison Falls National Park from the Nile river, a new perspective to be enjoyed by all.
Cruising up or down the river we offer different boat options to suit - both private, exclusive or regular, scheduled trips. Sports fishing for Nile Perch, game viewing, birding and of course viewing the Murchison Falls from one of our river craft are some of the activities offered.
Our two Duroboats are the perfect craft for small groups. Their light aluminum hulls each provide comfortable seating for up to five people plus a skipper/guide. They are also suitable for fishing with up to three persons.
Our two medium sized Alligator game viewing boats with their 8.5m long, shallow V-hulls have been designed for use on African rivers and provide comfortable seating for groups of up to 14 for excursions or fishing for up to 4 persons. A carpeted upper deck allows views of wildlife beyond the reeds that fringe the shoreline and also provides additional height for those that like to cast their rods.
Our big double decker river vessel has capacity for 35 guests. It has two decks with flexible seating arrangements and our on board river guide moves around on board providing interesting information and pointing out animal and bird sightings as you travel. The covered lower deck provides welcome shade while the open, upper deck – standing 3m above the river - allows excellent views close to the shore as well as further afield and solid wooden decking provides a stable photography platform. The boat’s twin Yamaha outboard motors are powerful enough to approach within metres of the Murchison Falls, providing spectacular views into the gorge. A toilet is also on board.
All our boats are new technology powered by Yamaha outboard engines. They are staffed with an experienced, trained skippers and river guides. Each is equipped with lifejackets for all passengers and a comprehensive first aid kit. Communication with our base office at Paraa (south bank) is enabled by mobile phone and Radio when required.
Cold drinks are available on board on a cash sale or inclusive basis, depending upon your trip arrangement. Snacks and meals can also be provided on board with prior reservations. Specialist guides can be invited to bring additional interest and insights to your cruises.
Advanced booking is recommended for all trips to avoid disappointment. We also do our best to match interests and guests together on boats where feasible and economic savings are required.
If you have a special request - please just ask so we can do our best to accommodate you.
Our River Activities and Indicative Rates
- SCHEDULED WATERFALL TRIPS - Paraa - Murchison Falls (Approx 3 hours) from USD31 - per adult, subject to minimum numbers on board.
The cruise upriver from our jetty at Paraa on the South bank, to view Murchison Falls at the head of the Fajao Gorge has been the park’s most popular attraction since the 1950s. We run a scheduled trip every afternoon at 2.30pm, Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings at 08.30am or alternatively on demand on a private, exclusive basis.
- UNSCHEDULED / PRIVATE WATERFALL TRIPS – Pick up point and timings to suit from USD31- per adult, or USD214 per boat, subject to trip duration and boat capacity / type.
An excellent opportunity for viewing the large resident populations of hippos and crocodiles, as well as other wildlife and extensive birdlife, including a wide range of waterbirds, and a huge colony of cliff-nesting red throated bee eaters, along the way.
- DELTA TRIPS - Nile delta cruises (4-5 hours) from USD55 - per adult, subject to minimum numbers on board.
The Victoria Nile delta, a 20km voyage downstream from Paraa, is home to rare wetland birds including shoebill and papyrus endemic species. Scheduled delta area cruises with a breakfast on board option are offered on Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday and Sunday departing from our jetty at Paraa on the South Bank at 07.00am. Otherwise we will tailor make your trip with a private boat and timings to suit.
- FISHING TRIPS – Nile Perch Fishing (Half, full and multiple day excursions). From USD143 - per adult (National Park Fees not included), subject to trip duration, boat type and numbers of board.
The mighty Nile River at Murchison is famous for its exciting sport fishing. Large, strong Nile Perch living in the turbulent waters below the Falls as well as several species of cat fish are fished and a variety of smaller species which are generally used as live bait for the larger fish. Fishing can be done from the shore or from our boats which are ideally sized and equipped to cope with the conditions and accessing the remote riverside pools. Our experienced guides travel with you on the river at all times to ensure you have the best opportunities for success, whether it be for a day or over several days.
- SPECIALIST TRIPS – Birding, transfers, walking up the falls. From USD355 per boat subject to trip duration and boat capacity / type. We can offer you a private boat on the river exclusively for activities and timings to suit you. Perhaps some fishing combined with bird viewing or simply taking in the beauty and views from the boat as you search for the animals en route. Your guide can show you special places for a stop off and walk or moor up for a while and enjoy your sundowners. Just tell us your wishes and we will accommodate you as best we can.
- SUNSET AND SUNDOWNER CRUISES (1-2 hours). From USD25 - per adult subject to trip type and minimum numbers on board.
As the heat disappears from the day, our craft take you to visit the hippos and crocodiles near the Nyamsika sandbar or downstream amongst the small reed islands. Enjoy the sunset whilst enjoying snacks and an evening drink of your choice. Cheese and wine, beer and nachos or even champagne can be arranged with prior notice.
- SUNRISE WITH THE HIPPOS (1-2 hours) – From USD25 - per adult subject to trip type and minimum numbers on board.
An early start to see the riverside world come to life with the option for freshly brewed coffee and homestyle breakfast on board.
- CRUISE AND SAFARI - Your park experience can be enhanced by combining river voyages with pre-arranged vehicle collection. Travel by boat to the delta and return to Paraa with a game drive through the game-rich Buligi area. Or leave your boat in Fajao Gorge and climb to the Top of the Falls for the view down into the thunderous chasm, before returning to Paraa by vehicle – either your own or we can arrange one for hire.
- CRUISE WITH MEALS – Make a meal of your cruise on the Nile – combine your game viewing from the water with lunch or dinner on board – with prior arrangements we can tailor a menu and timings to suit you and help make your Nile river cruise very special indeed. Please ask us and we’ll do our best to accommodate you.
Children under 5 years - FREE OF CHARGE. Between 5-15 years – HALF PRICE.
All trips are ex Paraa (South bank) Wild Frontiers jetty but pick up / drop offs at alternative places/lodges can be arranged with prior notice for a small surcharge.
Please note that the above rates are a guideline and are subject to change and are only verified when reservations are confirmed.
Special discounted rates for tour operators, travel agencies, international wholesalers, school groups and East African Residents are available on request – please contact us at email@example.com to enquire further.
To view our rates please click here or to request more information contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org